Saturday, July 18, 2009

HARRY POTTER & MY HALF PLEASURE


I know I haven't been blogging for quite some time.
Had been super busy. But this is Harry Potter we are talking about. It has to be written about.

So yesterday was Potter day. Yesterday was a day that would make a substantial mark in my life. Yesterday I watched Harry Potter in Liverpool. The book started in UK and now, I'm watching it,Harry Potter in UK itself...what more can you ask for?

Anyway back to the movie.
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE


Honestly, I'll consider myself a Harry Potter book fan...Not a Harry Potter in general fan.
I love the books, I love the way J.K. Rowling writes, but I am really beginning to dislike the movies.

The previous installment, HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF PHOENIX was a disappointment. There were so many interesting moments in that movie that were not included. For example, like Ron's father being sent to the hospital. I think that whole part is interesting because that part shows more about the love in the Weasley family, and also mainly explains the reason why Harry would rush to Sirius at the end of the movie. Also, by excluding that part, we also do not really see Neville Longbottom's hatred for Bellatrix and I think it somehow minimizes the character of Longbottom. I think if you read the book, you'll know the significance of Longbottom's character, which in the movie, has been subsided.


Neville Longbottom - he was supposed to have Harry's life


HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE, the penultimate book or movie for that matter, delivers the same disappointment. The opening scene was brilliant cinematographically, no denying that. Amazing how the director transits from the modern world to the magical world. Beautiful that the camera brings us the POV shot in the beginning that practically brings the audience on a 'rollercoaster ride' through the towns of Diagon Alley. The feeling was impressive.


One of the amazing shots in the movie


However, the first shot of Harry Potter was a smack on the face for me. The beginning part was a total 'creation out of no-where' by the director. I don't really remember Harry hitting on any girls in the restaurant. The whole of the front part with Harry Potter in the cafe was a bit ...I don't know - unrelated?

I was almost lost and when Dumbledore finally appears and brought Harry somewhere, it all started to come back to me again.

But sad...even though this movie has maintained certain parts of the movie, I think it failed to create that feeling of excitement the book gives. I know maybe it's because I've read the book. But then again, I feel that the movie failed to really present the dynamic relationship between the characters in the movie. For example, Harry's hatred over Snape, Harry's jealousy when he sees Ginny and Dean...Harry's feeling about the whole Hermoine-Ron relationship...Harry's feeling towards Dumbledore. Everything was just subtle in the movie, all on the surface.

I remember when reading the book, the whole storyline was captivating. It really got me hooked as I was so so eager to know who the "Half-Blood Prince" is and also to find out more about Tom Riddle's history. I think it failed because my friends who didn't read the book weren't really excited about who the Half-Blood Prince is and they were like practically lost. I don't know if it's because there were no subtitles or because the significance of the Half-Blood Prince was highlighted enough. I guess it's both. I don't think my friends enjoyed it because I don't think they get most parts.



The books are all brilliant, but movies a tad disappointing


Even if you get the parts, you will feel that the book has been robbed off its essence and dramatized. So many parts of Tom Riddle's history has been omitted and it feels like those "Hocruxes" are just "Horcruxes".

* Horcruxes are things that you can store your soul into if you rip your soul apart. In the magical world, it's like a real evil thing to do and it's like really dark magic. So Tom Riddle a.k.a. Voldemort has divided his soul into 7 parts - 7 Horcruxes.

What the movie didn't focus on was Dumbledore's journey in finding those Horcruxes. In the book, each Horcrux has a special value to Tom Riddle a.k.a. Voldemort. He just don't put his soul into any cabbage or carrots...He finds things that are of real significance, great things. The movie failed to showcase this part and I thought it is important because it is the key to how Harry is going to find other other Horcruxes in the final book.

The diary, the ring, the goblet in the hill...all these have significance in Tom Riddle's life. These things are of value. We all know about the diary (in the 2nd movie)...but we know nothing about the ring and the goblet. The movie did not mention anything about the Ring...supposingly there's a story on that. I can't remember the exact story, but there is a story on that.

What this movie does focus on is the love-triangle between Ron and Hermoine. It tries to also feature Harry and Ginny, though I think that the love parts were all a bit awkward. I don't know. I just don't feel the connection between them like I feel with the characters when I read the books. I mean, I can't feel Harry's jealousy when he sees Ginny and another guy. I can't feel Harry like thinking about Ginny all the time...I can't also really feel Hermoine when she cries because she sees Rupert and Lavender together. Nevertheless, at most parts, Hermoine and Ron are more convincing than Harry.



Harry and Ginny


Ron and Hermione


Ron and Lavender

Hurt....


But honestly, I really think that the movie is wasted on their love relationships. Maybe there should be less of that and more on creating the suspense for audience.

My favourite character is Ron...and I love Rupert. I think the movie is nevertheless entertaining because there is Ron. So thank GOD for Ron! But then, even the Quidditch scenes for Ron has been tremendously altered.

I think I really can't blame the directors. The books are so long and to translate everything into a movie would be hell of a job. So, I think, I was not entirely happy with the movie and I realize that watching a Harry Potter movie for me is just like a duty, like something that I have to do, rather than something that satisfy me.

The first 2 Harry Potter movies were BRILLIANT. The director had captured the essence of the movie, making it magical and everything in the book is almost translated onto screen. Visually and emotional satisfying. The 3rd and 4th movie were by far the most disappointing because most of the main parts were completely altered. Sad... the 3rd was directed by a director who had never read Harry Potter before, until when he was asked to direct the movie. It didn't work for me. I think that way, the director is really directing from a block-buster movie perspective, and not really from the perspective of translating the essence of Harry Potter.


What used to be EXCEPTIONAL...
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Aren't they cute as kids?


3rd Installment - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

4th Installment - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire



TC-My Ratings:





With Lotsa Lurve,
TammyC


No comments:

Post a Comment

In-Sight MY-Movie

"I love movies for its subjectivity. A movie is debatable. A single scene can mean a million things and the fun part is talking about them."